Wednesday, November 17, 2010

When You're Worried and Cannot Sleep....

This Sunday, I drove to Greenville to meet my parents and two of their friends to see White Christmas at the Peace Center. It was wonderful. I love 1950's musicals, as does mom, and we had a nice relaxing evening, enjoying the music, and getting into the Christmas Spirit.

One of the songs in the show is "Count Your Blessings"- the lyrics go "When you're worried and you can't sleep, count your blessings, instead of sheep. And, you'll fall asleep counting your blessings." I was so surprised to start tearing up during the song (although I do cry fairly easily- I HATE crying in public).  Over the past few weeks my prayers and thoughts have so been focused on mom and our family, weighty with worry. However, even as we begin this journey, there is so much to be thankful for: mom's doctors, family, friends, financial stability, dogs (Herbie, Jake, and Donald), prayers, Christmas music, Thanksgiving, PRAYERS, laughter, etc. The list goes on and on. So, I am going to make extra effort this Thanksgiving to be grateful for the blessings God has provided to my family and me! Also, my sleep has not exactly great these days, so I am indeed going to count my blessings and cross my fingers (and put Jake in the kennel since he likes to sneak into bed between Drew and me throughout the night).

Yesterday mom got a port placed below her collar bone to make the administration of the chemo therapy easier. She feels sore and uncomfortable, and has some funky bruises. But, the pain should subside in a few days.  Today she went back at the doctor's office for her to get lab work done. Getting blood drawn the day after surgery made her feel pretty nauseous. But, she has a good attitude. I hate seeing her feel yucky though.  The lab work showed that her white blood cell count is pretty good, despite the chemo!

We also went shopping for wigs, which was emotional, but went very well. We picked out two wigs for mom, and got some soft hats for her to wear around the house.

Cancer sucks. But, lots of other things in our lives don't. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment