Thursday, December 30, 2010

Are You There God? It's Me, Ashley.

Yesterday afternoon I received a call from my father telling me that he was heading to the hospital. He had been feeling numbness in his legs, which was getting progressively worse. A hospital admission, spinal tap, and MRI later, the doctors said he likely has transverse myelitis, inflammation of the spinal cord. Essentially, he can't move the lower half of his body. EVERYTHING is unclear- official diagnosis, prognosis, etc. Drew and I drove up to Spartanburg and he stayed with Mom while I went t the hospital with Dad.

Dad has a good attitude. But we are all at little unsettled. Mom can't really spend much time in the hospital due to her low white blood cell counts, but she is trying to see him at least once a day. She has stayed very strong. 

We don't understand why a rain cloud seems to be hanging over our family these days, but spending so much time at doctor's offices, you realize that we still have so much to be thankul for. Mom's tumor is SHRINKING, Dad still has his cognitive ability, and we have tons of family and friends who love us.

We would really appreciate prayers right now. For healing for Mom and Dad, for their doctors, and for patience as both of them likely have long roads to recovery.

And, despite the title of this post (just a shout out to one of my fav childhood books), we know God is present.

James 1:2-4 

Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

2 comments:

  1. "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the Lord." As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." Isaiah 55:8-9

    So sorry to hear about your fam Ashley. I am praying for God's miraculous healing, overwhelming peace and trust in His ways.
    ~Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just reading this now... praying for you and your dad, your mom, Jon, everyone. 1 Peter 5:7

    ReplyDelete