Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Hanging Tough

***Please excuse me for butchering medical terminology.

The past few days not much as changed in dad's condition. He is still unable to move the lower half of his body. He met with 5 different neurologists and no one could pin down a diagnosis. Thankfully, they are smart doctors, and sought the advice of  a doctor at the Mayo Clinic who is one of the foremost world experts on myelitis diseases. After reviewing Dad's MRI results, blood work, and lumbar puncture tet results he said that Dad likely has Neuromyelitis Optica (NMO).

Although the prognosis and treatment of NMO don't seem (to me at least) much different than that from transverse myelitis, we are thankful that we can start TREATING the disease.  After giving dad steroids for a few days to stop the progression of the myelitis and giving him anti-virals to err on the side of caution, the doctors didn't really know what to do next. As you can imagine, that is extremely frustrating. Going forward with the tenative diagnosis, the doctors are going to try to treat my dad with apheresis (separating  certain proteins from his blood then returning it to hs body). We are praying that he will regain his ability to walk and trying to stay positive.

I have gotten a lot of questions regarding when dad will be home and how much longer he'll be in the hospital. It looks like he'll be in the hospital a while longer. Then, he will likely move to a rehabilitation center. Although there is no hard and fast rule, we imagine it will be a few weeks (maybe even months) before he comes home.

Mom has been handling everything pretty well. However, Dad was her main support in her treatment, and she misses seeing her best friend and husband. She hasn't been feeling great this week, and I know that emotionally she must be spent. She starts her next cycle of chemotherapy next week and I am sure it will be tough for her to go through a cycle without Dad at home. Still, she is resolved to get better and is trying to stay positive. I am so proud of her grit.

I am overwelmed right now. Overwelmed by the possibility that my father may not walk again, or my mom may not recover. Overwelmed by the medical terminology, realities, and odds. Overwelmed by the logistics of having two seriously ill parents.

I am also overwelmed by the kindness of friends. Overwelmed by the strength of my hubby. Overwelmed by the love of family. Overwelmed by God's grace and comfort.

We are taking this day by day. I will have to figure out how to help mom and dad while keeping my life in Columbia. We are also all figuring out this new twist in the parent/child dynamic. Sorry Dad, but me not visiting you for days at a time is not an option ;).

Thank you for the continued prayers and support. Please keep them coming.

1 comment:

  1. Thinking and praying for you and your family, Ashley. Love you. Sarah R.

    ReplyDelete